Sunday, February 13, 2011

Week 3: The Rib cage



Week 3 was definitely interesting, as we moved on from the spine to none other than the Ribcage. I can definitely say that I love the approach to drawing that this class is taking.


I actually ended up using said technique in some of my own personal work, and adding in a ribcage has definitely helped quite a bit. If anything I can't wait until I get most anatomy down, the power and control over my human  figure drawings should be immense.

I find that even if you don't use the skeletal lines, you still kind of imagine them and mold your drawing kind of around that. I know my neck and shoulders are getting quite good. I am kind of feeling impatient though, especially when the the thing I love drawing the most is the face, which we won't really be getting into for a while.

I think the highlight of the class is just getting down and drawing. I would not mind doing that sort of thing all day, and I especially wouldn't mind skipping certain other classes that I won't name. What intrigues me the most though, is the fact that eventually (or so I hope) I will be able to draw some dynamic figures from purely memory, as long as I can line up the skeleton and do a base drawing first.

Less appealing to me, but nonetheless necessary is the clay manakin project that we continue to do. I think just using a book to kind of put on muscles is rather difficult for me, simply because the book and our manakin are starkly different. I would kill for a recorded video of the actual sculpting of the muscle, and just kind of do it alongside said fictional dream video XD

Maybe its something worth suggesting to our professor at some point. She does a smashing job though,  so I can bear the occasional thing that I may not like. I may not like it, but hey, its pretty necessary and even I can see the value in it.

I don't have any major pictures to post this week, so I'm kind of going to hang my head and probably edit them in later. In the interest of honesty, I will keep this part in here stating that... At the time of writing this, I did not have  any pictures in said post (Except for the top header graphic thing XD).

Since I technically have commenters now (poor guys) who are in my group for my class, I'd kinda appreciate some feedback. You guys are going to be reading this, I might as well tailor it to you so it isn't erm... too painful to read each week and leave some manner of a comment! XD

I'll definitely be stopping by your blogs and leaving some comments soonish.Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you! I wouldn't mind drawing all day, although sometimes it does get boring when you're not really sure of what you're doing exactly. Drawing figures from pure memory someday might be a good exercise! it seems challenging, but I love challenges! (mostly).

    ReplyDelete